Saturday, August 30, 2008

MLB MVP Race - Update


If you remember earlier this month, I did a post on the system I created to rank the MVP candidates for each league. I went into more detail on how it works in that post, so if you missed that one I suggest you check it out before looking at the results here.

Here are the American League MVP Rankings through August, 29th:

If you have trouble seeing the rankings, then just click on the picture and you can get a larger view of the list. As you can see, Carlos Quentin has taken over the lead for AL MVP according to my rankings but it is real close race between Quentin, Justin Morneau, Josh Hamilton, and Kevin Youkilis. Right now if I had to go with my gut feeling, I think that Kevin Youkilis might end up winning the MVP, especially if the White Sox don't make the playoffs and the Red Sox do. I think Grady Sizemore would be the MVP if Cleveland had the type of season everyone expected them to have, but of course they haven't, so I don't see him winning it. The only other wild card as possible MVP would be Francisco Rodriguez if he breaks the saves record but I can't see the voters picking a closer for MVP when closers have a hard time winning the Cy Young, nevermind the MVP award.

Here are the National League MVP Rankings through August, 29th:

In the National League, Albert Pujols continues to be the front runner for MVP and I have no beef with that at all. Pujols is having a monster season, hitting .356 with 28 HR and 87 RBI, while having a .464 OBP and .632 SLG. Lance Berkman ranks second in the MVP voting but he is really no threat to Pujols. I think the biggest threat to Pujols is himself, because he is so good that he often gets overlooked in MVP voting, since everyone just expects him to be great every season. However, if Pujols doesn't win the MVP this year, it would really be a crime because he is having a great season on a team that has been in the playoff race all year. Ryan Braun could have a small case if he turns it up down the stretch but I think this is Pujols award to lose.

Previously: MLB MVP Race - Part 1 & MLB MVP Race - Albert Pujols & Kevin Youkilis

No comments:

Post a Comment