Monday, September 7, 2009

NFL Weekly: Season Preview & Predictions

I don't know what the reason is, but I'm just not all that hyped for the upcoming NFL season. Maybe I need a few weeks of games played before I get into it, but right now the upcoming season seems like it might be one of the least hyped in recent memory. Anyway here are my predictions for how the upcoming season will turn out and I'm sure these predictions will be wrong.

AFC East

1. New England Patriots
2. Miami Dolphins
3. Buffalo Bills
4. New York Jets

Comments: The Patriots should win this division going away as long as Brady stays healthy. I think they are the favorites to win the Super Bowl too. The Dolphins will be solid, but they have a much tougher schedule than they did last season and I'm not sure how much they improved from a year ago either. Buffalo seems to be stuck in that 8-8 or 9-7 territory every season. I don't see them being much of a factor this year even with T.O. The Jets could surprise with a solid D and strong running game. If Mark Sanchez can pull a Matt Ryan/Joe Flacco-like season off then they could win 10-11 games.

AFC North

1. Baltimore Ravens
2. Pittsburgh Steelers
3. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Cleveland Browns

Comments: I think Joe Flacco is going to take a step forward this season and surprise a lot of people and that will put Baltimore ahead of the Steelers. Pittsburgh will be solid once again and I expect them to win 10 plus games and make the playoffs. Cincinnati and Cleveland are both going nowhere and will battle it out to see which one of them doesn't finish in the basement. Although I could see Cincinnati being a little better defensively this season than in the past. Maybe Cleveland as well. The Bengals have the better QB though, so I give them an edge over the Browns.

AFC South

1. Indianapolis Colts
2. Tennessee Titans
3. Houston Texans
4. Jacksonville Jaguars

Comments: Honestly I really don't like any of these teams in the AFC South. I think the Colts are going to struggle somewhat with a new coach and assistants in place. Tennessee should be better offensively but will probably have a tougher schedule this season. Houston is definitely a team to watch offensively, but I still don't like their defense. I think Jacksonville made some moves this offseason to try and improve, but I'm still not a big fan of their squad. I think I might be underrating the Titans somewhat, but I just don't feel like they are going to win the division again.

AFC West

1. San Diego Chargers
2. Denver Broncos
3. Oakland Raiders
4. Kansas City Chiefs

Comments: I will be completely shocked if the Chargers don't win this division going away. The other three teams all seem to be complete messes right now and honestly I can't really decide which one of them will finish in second. Either way I think this division only has one team over .500 once the season is over. I think the Chargers are a sleeper in the AFC this season after last year's disappointment.

NFC East

1. Philadelphia Eagles
2. New York Giants
3. Dallas Cowboys
4. Washington Redskins

Comments: I think the Eagles are going to have a strong year and contend for a Super Bowl. The Giants will rely on their running game and D to finish ahead of a Cowboys team that is going to miss T.O. a little more than expected. If you ask me they should involve Felix Jones in the running game more. Washington is just in the wrong division and doesn't have enough playmakers on offense to compete with the other three teams. Luckily for the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys they get to play the AFC West, which I think will give them an edge when it comes down to the two Wild Card spots.

NFC North

1. Chicago Bears
2. Minnesota Vikings
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Detroit Lions

Comments: This might be the toughest division to call because I think the Vikings, Bears, and Packers are all pretty similar teams talent wise. I could see any of them winning the division and I think it will come down to head-to-head matchups, injuries, and who has the easiest schedule. I really like what the Bears have on offense, so I'm going to ride with them to win the division for now. Should be a dogfight to the end though. I think Matt Forte is going to have a monster season this year.

NFC South

1. Atlanta Falcons
2. New Orleans Saints
3. Carolina Panthers
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Comments: I like Atlanta to win this division and the Saints to not be too far behind. I don't think Carolina will be as good this season and Tampa Bay will probably have a tough time winning games in this division. Atlanta could be a scary team to play this season offensively and it will be up to the defense to improve from last year to make this time a legit Super Bowl threat.

NFC West

1. Arizona Cardinals
2. Seattle Seahawks
3. San Francisco 49ers
4. St. Louis Rams

Comments: I think Seattle will give Arizona a run for their money for the division title. Both teams could have injury concerns at the QB position, but if Warner and Hassleback both stay healthy then I see no reason why these two teams shouldn't have close to 10 wins each. The 49ers could be scrappy this year and surprise, but the Rams will most likely be one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Playoffs

AFC East: New England Patriots
AFC North: Baltimore Ravens
AFC South: Indianapolis Colts
AFC West: San Diego Chargers
AFC Wild Cards: Pittsburgh Steelers, Tennessee Titans

NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles
NFC North: Chicago Bears
NFC South: Atlanta Falcons
NFC West: Arizona Cardinals
NFC Wild Cards: New York Giants, Dallas
Cowboys

AFC Championship Game: New England Patriots vs San Diego Chargers
NFC Championship Game: Philadelphia Eagles vs Atlanta Falcons

AFC Champion: New England Patriots
NFC Champion: Philadelphia Eagles

Super Bowl Champion: New England Patriots

No comments:

Post a Comment