Friday, January 9, 2009

Fantasy Football Sleepers - Update

Back at the end of August, I did a post on fantasy football sleepers, so now that the regular season is over, let's take a look at how some of those sleepers performed:

Tedd Ginn: I missed somewhat on this one, because Ginn wasn't a complete bust but he didn't get into the endzone as much as I thought he would either. Ginn finished with 56 catches for 790 yards and 4 TDs, but if Chad Pennington had a better arm, Ginn might have been able to reach the 1,000 yards and 10 TDs I had predicted for him.

Kurt Warner: I had Warner as a sleeper because at the time everyone thought Matt Leinert was going to be the Cardinals QB. In fact, Warner wasn't even drafted in two of the leagues I was in and I snatched him up late in another league. Warner finished the season with 4,583 yards passing and 30 TD, which was good enough to be the 5th highest scoring QB in fantasy football.

Ricky Williams: I had Ricky listed as a sleeper because I didn't think Ronnie Brown was going to be healthy and it turns out he was. Had I known Brown was going to be healthy, I probably wouldn't have included Williams, but he still ran for 659 yards and had 219 yards receiving and finished with 5 TDs.

Chris Perry: I completely bombed on this one. I figured even if he sucked, he could still run for about 900 yards and 8 TDs, but he only averaged 2.6 yards a carry and ran for just 269 yards.

Maurice Morris: Morris ran for 574 yards but he came nowhere near the 6 TDs I thought he would get, scoring only twice. Most of that was due to T.J. Duckett stealing the goal line carries and finishing with 8 TDs.

Calvin Johnson: I had him as a sleeper and a steal if you draft him after the 3rd round and that certainly proved to be true with Johnson racking up the 3rd most points for WRs. He finished the season with 78 catches for 1,331 yards and 12 scores, which tied for the lead for most TD by a WR.

Jerricho Cotchery: I was one of the people who believed Cotchery would benefit from having Brett Favre as his QB, but that proved to not be the case at all. Cotchery finished with 71 catches for 858 yards and just 5 TDs, which were pretty similar numbers to what he has done even without Brett Favre.

DeSean Jackson: Jackson finished with 62 catches, 912 yards, and 4 TDs. He should have had a 5th too if it wasn't for that play where he dropped the ball on the one yard line.

Jay Cutler: For some reason, Cutler was drafted late in all three of the leagues I was in. I was shocked that he didn't go earlier and I would have picked him except that I had Brees/Roethlisberger, Romo/Rivers, and Brees/Warner as my QBs so I didn't really need him. Cutler finished the season as the 3rd best fantasy QB, throwing for 4,526 yards and 25 TDs, while running for 200 yards and 2 scores as well.

Kevin Walter: Walter was one of my bigger hits finishing the season with 60 catches, 899 yards, and 8 TDs. He went undrafted in all three of my leagues and he finished as the 19th best fantasy WR, a few spots ahead of Wes Welker.

DeAngelo Williams: I had Williams listed in my "Other Potential Sleepers" section and I really hope someone took that advice because he finished with 1,736 total yards and 20 TDs, which was good enough to be the top fantasy RB. I'm sure he'll be drafted in the first round next year in almost every league.

Isaac Bruce: I listed Bruce as a potential sleeper because I figured Mike Martz would try to get him the ball. Bruce had a surprising season, finishing with 61 catches, 835 yards, and 7 TD, which was good enough for the 25th best fantasy receiver.

Greg Olsen: 574 yards, 5 TDs, 11th best TE

Kevin Boss: 384 yards, 6 TDs, 13th best TE

Dustin Keller: 535 yards, 3 TDs, 14th best TE

Overall, I think I did pretty good with my sleepers. I actually had some big ones with Warner, Cutler, Johnson, Walter, and D'Angelo Williams, who were all guys who were either drafted too late, drafted in the later rounds, or just undrafted all together, that ended up putting up solid fantasy numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment