Tuesday, April 7, 2009

2009 NCAA Tournament: North Carolina Defeats Michigan State To Win Championship (Video)

Okay, so you might have noticed I've pretty much neglected covering any of the Final 4. Since UConn lost to Michigan State all my interest went down the drain. I pretty much hate Michigan State right now, not because they beat UConn, but because I knew they would get smashed by North Carolina and ruin any chance of there being a good championship game. I feel like UConn would have at least given UNC a good game and I'm still not sure what the hell happened to them against Michigan State. So I give a big FU to Michigan State for making this championship game one of the worst I can remember in years. I guess I shouldn't be too upset though after last year's classic between Kansas & Memphis.

Anyway, I don't care who won the Final 4 most outstanding player, you can't tell me Ty Lawson isn't the most important player on the Tarheels. They wouldn't be cutting down the nets right now without him. He played great throughout the whole tournament and pretty much did it all from scoring, getting to the line, knocking down three's, passing, protecting the rock, and stealing. In fact, he set a championship game record with 8 steals last night. You can bet your bottom dollar that Lawson will be cashing in on his great tournament by entering the NBA Draft the first second he can.

Another key to this championship run for North Carolina was there defense, which they stepped up big time. Before the tournament started, North Carolina had given up over 100 points per 100 possessions in 5 of their last 6 games. However, in their 6 tournament games, they only allowed over 100 points per 100 possessions in the LSU game. If you put a defense like that along side an offense that was top 2 in the country all season, then it's no surprise that UNC won it all. I had said from the beginning that they key for UNC was their defense. Their offense was balanced enough that they could have a few guys have off nights and still put up points, but the defense had to be there every night too.

More: March Madness

No comments:

Post a Comment